St Andrews Church on Main St, Alexandria was first opened in 1840 serving as the local parish church for the area. The church was closed in 1994 and subsequently opened as Scallywags children play area and a dance studio till around 2014.
In late 2018 we began working with the current owner to bring the building back into use as a creative space, venue and artists studios. We are working toward securing funds to repair and refurbish the building and have it open for use by 2020.
The name Viresco comes from an inscription on the Smollett Mausoleum in the churchyard surrounding the church and translated from Latin means to grow, become green, flourish, prosper - the same sentiment we hope will come from the new lease of life we are giving to the building and the area.
If you would like to be involved or to find out more information please get in touch via our contact page and in the meantime please join in our free workshops in Alexandria for a taste of the activities we plan to run